Sunday, May 27, 2012

Euphoria...




Well, the 2012 Eurovision Song Contest is over. Sweden of course owned the evening as I had known for months - it is a true winning song that raked in the votes. Congrats to Loreen - a well deserved victory. And also, major kudos to her for being the only performer this year to publicly voice her concerns about human rights (or the lack of them) in the host country, Azerbaijan.



I was also very pleased that Albania finished in the Top 5. Spain was a nice surprise and ended in 10th place. Serbia landed a well deserved third place. The fact that Iceland, Malta and Denmark did so badly was much appreciated as well.

I was however hoping for a much better place for Cyprus and Greece - these two were my favorites along with Sweden and Albania. I was also a little surprised over how very badly the UK and Norway did. I didn't expect them to win the whole thing, but sitting at the very bottom was a little surprising. The UK performance was good with a beautiful presentation, but the song felt very much out of place. The song from Norway was pretty good but somehow it just didn't work on stage. Still, both these songs should have finished higher...

Azerbaijan finishing in the top 5 was a major surprise, to to say the least! And the less said about the "song" finishing in the second place (Russia), the better!

Overall though, I thought it was a fun final. Most of the worst songs had been removed during the semifinals and the right song won! I am already looking forward to next year - Sweden LOVES Eurovision and I am sure they will put on a fabulous show!

The complete scorecards from each shows:

Semi #1

Semi #2

The Final

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...