Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Deluxe Results...



A beautiful LP re-issue of Results by Liza Minelli is coming out on December 3rd.

Liza Minnelli, winner of four Tony Awards, an Oscar, a special "Legends" Grammy, two Golden Globe Awards and an Emmy, is one of the entertainment world's consummate performers. In film, on stage and in television, Liza has won critical acclaim, a multitude of fans, and recognition from her peers in show business, giving new dimension and credibility to the word "superstar."The Pet Shop Boys themselves need no introduction. 

This collaboration is a truly winning combination, produced by The Pet Shop Boys and Julian Mendelsohn this remastered vinyl edition pressed on 180g vinyl is packaged in a hardback book gatefold sleeve with booklet, featuring the original album plus a bonus disc of rare 12inch mixes. All the joy, excitement, pain, & insecurity apparent in many relationships is captured here. Lyrically, this is the Pet Shop Boys at their very best and Liza sure knows how to bring these lyrics to life. This is not a cheerful album, in fact some if it is very moody...but thats exactly how it's supposed to be, and in the hands of Neil Tennant & Chris Lowe they came up with this undoubted classic. 

Original released in 1989 the albums features covers of the Pet Shop Boys songs, Rent (which features some great singing from Liza and a superb orchestration courtesy of Anne Dudley) 'Tonight Is Forever' and 'I Can't Say Goodnight'. Four of the tracks 'I Want You Now', 'If There Was Love', the heartfelt 'So Sorry I Said' and 'Don't Drop Bombs' are brand new Tennant and Lowe compositions written especially for this project. The remaining 3 tracks that make up this album are a cover of the Tanita Tikaram classic 'Twist In My Sobriety', Stephen Sondheims 'Losing My Mind' from Follies and the Yvonne Elliman HI-NRG anthem that is 'Love Pains'. 

The bonus disc contains four 12inch remixes - 'Don't Drop Bombs', 'Losing My Mind' ultimix and the very different ultimix dub version plus the very rare Steve Hurley deep house pains mix of 'Love Pains'. An album where two worlds collide, a fascinating mix of styles and traditions that still stands the test of time today.

Tracklist:

I Want You Now
If There Was Love
So Sorry I Said
Don't Drop Bombs
Twist In My Sobriety
Rent
Love Pains
Tonight Is Forever
I Can't Say Goodnight

Dont Drop Bombs ext mix
Losing My Mind ultimix
Losing My Mind ultimix dub
Love Pains Steve 'Silk' Hurley deep house pains

The album was originally released in September 1989. It peaked at#6 in the UK, but failed to enter the US charts. It has since become quite a classic - thankfully, since it is is an excellent album!

Four singles were released: "Losing My Mind", "Don't Drop Bombs", "So Sorry, I Said" and "Love Pains".

I have the deluxe CD, the original LP and most of the singles and I must say that even though the album is dated, it seems to become even better as time goes on...

File:Losingliza.jpgFile:Bombsliza.jpgFile:Sorryliza.jpgFile:LizaMinnelliLovePainsSingleCover.jpeg

3 comments:

Jon said...

DEFINITELY one of my favourite albums, ever! I still play it occasionally now... Jx

Thunderbitch said...

Absolutely love this album and by far Liza's best work

Barbarella's Galaxy said...

PSB + Liza - gay goodness :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...