Thursday, May 23, 2013

SOTD...


Just got home from a test I have been studying for what seems like months. Thankfully I think I did pretty well. Now there is one more test to get through (next week) and then I get two whole months off from school! Maybe I can have some sort of a life again...

But, before that there is the small matter of getting through the last one, which is German! I urge you to try to learn all the basics in a new language in less then a month, while doing another course! 

But, for inspiration I will call upon the princess of Germany. Yes, it's Sandra of course!

File:InTheHeatOfTheNightSandra - 12 inch.jpg

My Euro-priestess of pop turned 50 years young a few days ago, but thankfully she is still releasing fabulous music and touring around Europe. Back in 1985, after the massive success of "Maria Magdalena", Sandra released the follow up single in November: "In The Heat Of The Night".

The song became another big hit for her, charting inside the Top 5 in Germany, Italy, France and Sweden to name a few. She released her first proper music video to go with the song, which you can of course enjoy below. What followed was a string of fabulous hit singles and quite a few fantastic albums. Her latest album, Stay In Touch, is amongst the best she's done and proves that she is far from finished.

But this one remains one of my favorites.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, it's the "unknown" me again. I took 2 semesters of German when I was in college in the US, and I almost flunked them :( Anyhow, ich liebe deine blog :)

An extra bit of Sandra's trivia and background info from me: I'm from Hong Kong, and "In The Heat of the Night" was huge in Hong Kong in the 80s. A Hong Kong singer called Anita Mui covered that song, and it ignited her diva-dom.

Also, "Hey Little Girl" was also covered by a male Hong Kong singer

Barbarella's Galaxy said...

Hi, "unknown" ;)

Thanks for the Sandra info. Her first few singles were extremely popular over here as well, but after her first two albums she sadly stopped getting much airplay. A shame, since her third album and all the singles from it are amongst here best...

Glad you did manage to pass your German semesters. Hope I will too...

Jon said...

I'm absolutely sure I was at that sauna when this song was playing, and I never even knew Sandra was there performing live! :-) Jx

PS Why do people sign in as "Anonymous" I wonder? It's not like Google is a tiny localised company that you wouldn't bother with a profile for...

Barbarella's Galaxy said...

I knew it! I was absolutely sure I saw you lurking around in the background...

Unknown said...

Hi Jon, I actually sign in with my gmail account, but somehow, blogspot keeps showing my name as "Unknown" :(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...