Sunday, August 28, 2011

Tracks...



Not an awful lot has been happening on the music scene in the last coupe of months. But here are some recent tracks I like:




After her wonderful, return to form album Midwinter Graces, it seems that Tori Amos is still on the right track. The beautiful new song "Carry", taken from her new album Night Of Hunters is certainly an indication of that. The album is getting good advance reviews, and it just might be the album that all the people that fell in love with her music in the early 90s have been wating for. This is vintage Tori - a very good one.




A wonderful take on an old fave of mine - Kim Wilde covers the 1992 UK number 1 hit "Sleeping Satellite" by Tasmin Archer. Kim will be going on tour next year, playing tracks from her new covers album Snapshots, as well as many of her greatest hits. A tip: if you are planning to buy her new CD, make sure you get the Saturn version - it includes the bonus track "Forever Young" (orginally by by Alphaville).





The latest from Maroon 5 - I quite like them and this latest track from them is a lot of fun, despite it's subject and that person featured on it.





Jessie J does effortlessly what Pink has been trying to do for years. Good song and an even better video.





A very cool song and a fantastic video from Skrillex. If you like dubstep, you should love this.





I have featured Anjulie on my blog a couple of times before. Now she's back with a brand new song, and a very different sound from her previous singles. Now she is, apperantly, a brand new bitch. OK then.





The lovely Marina And The Diamonds is back - in a bit of a weird way. You see, she is releasing a new single called "Radioactive". The video is in two parts, the first one being a completely different song (which I like more then the actual single). Everything about single release feels very uncommercial, despite the song being very commercial. Confused yet? There's more: this is what Marina has to say:
Part 1: It’s not a single, it’s just an album track. And basically Electra Heart is a story. I don’t even know if it’s going to take the form of an album yet, but it’s a really cinematic 70s Americana-type film and each part of the story comes in Part One, Part Two, Part Three. The song that’s going online today is Part One. It’s quite hard to explain because I think a lot of people will think Electra Heart is an alter ego or something but she’s not, it’s kind of basically a vehicle to portray part of the American dream, with elements of Greek tragedy and that’s all going to be coming out through the visuals. It’s hard to explain but I think you’ll see it when it all comes together.

OK OK, lets just get to the songs then. I think Marina is very talented, I like her first album a lot and it will be fun to see what she comes up with for her next release. These two tracks are certanly promising.



3 comments:

Jon said...

I adore Kim Wilde, and I am with you on the Marina stuff; the first part of that weirdo two-part business is the best part. I can just about tolerate Maroon 5's latest effort, despite Christina fucking Aguilera. Adam Levine is definitely shaggable, but I hate his voice. Dubstep - no. Anjulie - no. Jessie J - no, please god, no! Surely there's better out there... Jx

Barbarella's Galaxy said...

It is all a matter of taste sweetie...

I actually like Adam´s voice, but everytime I hear Jake Shears I want to rip my ears off ;)

Jon said...

There's a few things I wouldn't mind ripping off Jake Shears... or Adam for that matter! Jx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...