Wednesday, October 17, 2012

All That Jazz...



Bryan Ferry will release his new album THE JAZZ AGE in the UK on 26th November 2012.

If there was ever a musical icon and a decade destined to come together it is Bryan Ferry and the Roaring Twenties. The artist as creative powerhouse with a dazzling career of endless surprise, delight and innovation, and the decade - a time of modernity, decadence and bright young things - all driven on by the thrill of it all.

So what better way to celebrate and mark the 40th year anniversary of Ferry's incredible career as a singer and songwriter, than by rearranging his own compositions and have them performed in a 1920's style by his very own Jazz Orchestra?

It began as an idea, fuelled by Ferry's fascination of that time between the wars known as "The Jazz Age". He decided the songs were to be all completely instrumental reinterpretations.

‘Most of the music I listen to nowadays is instrumental," he explains "and I wanted to let my songs have a different life, a life without words’.

He put together his very own jazz orchestra comprised of many of the great British jazz players from his past tribute to the 1930’s’, the album As Time Goes By - including his long-term musical director Colin Good, with whom Ferry worked closely on these new arrangements.

“I loved the way the great soloists would pick up a tune and shake it up - go somewhere completely different - and then return gracefully back to the melody, as if nothing had happened. This seemed to me to reach a sublime peak with the music of Charlie Parker, and later Ornette Coleman. More recently, I have been drawn back to the roots, to the weird and wonderful music of the 1920s – the decade that became known as The Jazz Age.

After forty years of making records, both in and out of Roxy Music, I thought now might be an interesting moment to revisit some of these songs, and approach them as instrumentals in the style of that magical period - bringing a new and different life to these songs – a life without words.”

The 13 songs have been chosen from 11 albums, from his very first release Roxy Music (1972) to his recent solo record Olympia (2010).

Tracklist:

1. Do The Strand
2. Love Is The Drug
3. Don't Stop The Dance
4. Just Like You
5. Avalon
6. The Bogus Man
7. Slave To Love
 8. This Is Tomorrow
9. The Only Face
10. I Thought
11. Reason Or Rhyme
12. Virginia Plain
13. This Island Earth

Produced by Bryan Ferry and Rhett Davies, The Jazz Age will be released on Monday, 26th November 2012 on Vinyl, CD and Digital editions.

2 comments:

Jon said...

I heard some of this on Radio 2 last week - it is very weird, but knowing my penchant for the bizarre end of the musical spectrum I have no doubt I will grow to love it! I do find it confusing, however, that Mr Ferry (whose own crooning voice can sometimes sound almost vintage, a bit like the Temperance Seven) has determined this should be an entirely instrumental album. Jx

PS You may have gathered I am catching up with a backlog of blogs and stuff this week...

Barbarella's Galaxy said...

I must admit that my interest faded a bit when I realised that this was going to be an instrumental album. I will add this to my collection though and I'm sure I will like it - but I would have preferred to have some Bryan Ferry vocals on a Bryan Ferry album!

I believe he has another album in the pipelines as well though - I look forward to any info on that!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...