Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Why The Music Industry Needs Deluxe Reissues...



A fun article about re-issues and deluxe box sets has been published by The Guardian.

Looking across the range of box sets in the market, they betray something of a bias towards rock music. Will other genres, like pop, ever get the same treatment? "I think Madonna's True Blue would work brilliantly," Chalmers says. "We are talking to Madonna and her reps about various product plans – but a record like that would work perfectly. I don't think it's limited to specific audiences."

Click here for the whole article:

2 comments:

Jon said...

"...if labels can get super-fans to shell out three figures on a single release, then that's a hell of a trick to pull off."

Indeed. I am never sure about them myself. Jx

Barbarella's Galaxy said...

While I love deluxe editions, I rarely buy the three figure releases.

The way that the recent Bananarama re-issues were put together is the perfect model, IMO. The original album with bonus tracks, a bonus CD filled with remixes, a bonus DVD - all remastered and released in great packaging with loads of photos, liner notes etc - and I payed 10 pounds for each, 60 pounds all in all.

However, if there were some massive (and expensive) Madonna releases coming out, I would buy them in a heartbeat...

The bottom line is that I think it is great that in these damn digital times the labels are creating some exciting, limited releases for megafans to add to their collections. But I still feel (in most cases) that when the price has entered the three figures it has become too much...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...