Thursday, September 8, 2011

Happy Birthday...



Ten years ago today a single was released in Australia which which would not only become one of the biggest selling singles of the 21st Century, but change the landscape of popular music forever more and send a home-grown girl from Melbourne soaring to a whole new stratosphere of globe conquering proportions.
From the opening hypnotic beats, to the infamous ‘la, la, la’ mantra and the gorgeous soaring vocals, ‘Can’t Get You Out Of My Head’ is pop at its most sublime. As the first single release from Kylie’s ‘Fever’ album, the song not only redefined Kylie’s career but garnered a whole host of awards and broke a gazillion records in the process!

Premiered on Kylie’s ‘On A Night Like This Tour’ in the Spring of 2001, talk of ‘Can’t Get You Out Of My Head’ quickly set online messageboards alight with hungry fans eager to know when this anthemic new track would be available in stores.
By September anticipation was at ‘Fever’ pitch and ‘Can’t Get You Out Of My Head’ debuted at No.1 in Australia as well as the UK where it achieved first week sales of over 306,000 copies! It then launched an all-conquering assault on the charts worldwide, hitting the top spot in every European country bar Finland and became Kylie’s biggest U.S. Hit since ‘The Loco-motion’ in 1988!

The song, as well as its groundbreaking video, set new records on radio and TV airplay charts the world over. In the UK the ‘Can’t Get You Out Of My Head’ made radio history to become the first to gather 3,000 plays in a single week and to reign the airplay chart for 8 weeks! It ended the year as the most played song of 2001 and won three Ivor Novello Awards for ‘Best International Single’, ‘Best Dance Record’ and ‘Most Played Record of The Year’. Worldwide sales are in excess of 4 million copies!

10 years on ‘Can’t Get You Out Of My Head’ still sounds as fresh and relevant today as it did back in 2001, and continues to reinvented for new generations at Kylie’s spectacular live shows.

4 comments:

Jon said...

It's staggering how quickly that decade has flown by - it seems like yeaterday! La la la la la la la la... Jx

ShineOnAndOn said...

Cheers! seems like yesterday I heard it on the radio for the first time..."OMG They are playing Kylie on LA radio!" :)

Barbarella's Galaxy said...

The first time I heard it was at the OANLT tour - I wasnt very impressed when I saw it live, and when I heard after the concert that this was going to be the intro single to her next album I wasnt sure what to think. But when the live drums were replaced and the song became much tighter, all of a sudden it was the best thing ever. Cant believe it´s been 10 years!

Teddi said...

I heard it first on the On A night like this tour and I liked it, but I felt it was a bit underwhelming. I did find it strange that it was going to be the first single, but after I heard it in its studio version I was hooked. The vocals, the production, the la,la,la hook line all worked perfectly. Not to mention the video, I still remember vividly when I saw it for the first time, stating that this was the greatest video she had ever done...
Can't believe it has been 10 years already

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...