Sunday, May 19, 2013

Bitter Teardrops...



Another Eurovision is over. And as expected, that mindless crowd pleaser from Denmark won.

I was disappointed (although not entirely surprised) over how badly Ireland and UK did. The voting was a bit of a bore (there was never really a question that Denmark would win - even long before the show), the opening was terribly tacky and the overall look of the contest this year made me think we were back in the 90s. Thank god for the host, at least she was hilarious!

Bonnie Tyler, who sang for the UK released a message after the show:
The Eurovision experience has been fantastic. I got the feelings tonight that I got at the Grammy awards. I’m sure a lot of people will be disappointed on my behalf but I have really enjoyed my Eurovision experience. I did the best that I could with a great song, I don’t feel down, I’m quite relaxed — and ready to party!

The songs and singers at the top I really liked – Denmark, Norway, Azerbaijan. They totally deserve to be up there. Of course I’d have liked to bring it home for the UK, but it has been a night to remember.

I would particularly like to thank my fans and supporters for their good wishes, enthusiasm and votes and hope that they will continue to stick with me.


Then of course there were the unintentionally hilarious moments as well. The completely classless Cascada from Germany, the very tacky entries from Romania and Belarus, the wind and fog machines used by Georgia, the awful lyrics from Lithuania, the Prozac overdosed group from Malta - the list goes on. But of course it all adds to the fun!

Out of the songs that finished in the Top 10 my favorites were The Netherlands and Norway. Here is a look at some of my favorites/tacky entries this year. I did feel that the selection of songs this year was very weak though...

Oh well, bring on the 2014 show!

 



The DVD will be out on June 14th.

2 comments:

Jon said...

Everyone at Dolores Delargo Towers voted the Netherlands entry "nul points" - it was truly excruciating.

I thought the Norwegian entry was very Kylie...

As for Cascada, ewwww!

Hope your party was as good as ours! Jx

Barbarella's Galaxy said...

We had a great time, despite how mediocre the show was this year.

It is one of the charms about Eurovision how completely different opinions people can have of the songs - pretty much everyone I know loved the entry from The Netherlands and it ended up getting 8 points from us during the voting.

Cascada was truly terrible, as expected. The song might have done better with another singer. The Norwegian song sounds like Kylie teaming up with Depeche Mode for a James Bond theme song. Which of course is not a bad thing! I would have much preferred that one to win.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...