Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Happy Birthday Darling...




I can't believe it! My darling diva, Diana Ross, turns 70 years young today!

Miss Ross has been featured many times here before - a look at her discography can be found here, her work with The Supremes is featured here and selections of some gorgeous photos can be seen here and here.

This time around, here is a  look at some of the magazine covers from her 50 (!) years in show business:




































"I don't judge people by their sexual orientation or the color of their skin, so I find it really hard to identify someone by saying that they're a gay person or a black person or a Jewish person."

"If I have someone who believes in me, I can move mountains."

"Criticism, even when you try to ignore it, can hurt. I have cried over many articles written about me, but I move on and I don't hold on to that ."

"Just because I have my standards they think I'm a bitch."


"You know, you do need mentors, but in the end, you really just need to believe in yourself."




Diana Ross was, is and will always remain the supreme diva!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY darling!

Diana Ross turns 70 (video)

Diana's 70 Greatest Moments In Honor Of Her Birthday!

Diana Ross: a tribute to pop's femme fatale

Diana Ross turns 70

Happy Birthday, Diana!

Female entertainer of the century

Beauty Icon: Dian's life in pictures

Diana Ross at 70

Celebrating the Supreme Diana Ross

This day in black history



Also:

Diana Ross - Complete Motown Albums CD box set is coming out in October. 23 CDs, card sleeves (gatefolds where applicable) in a clamshell box. No tracklist or cover art yet, but the box can already be pre-ordered here

23 discs? Well, Diana made 18 albums with The Supremes and 15 solo albums at Motown. If additional titles (Blue, soundtracks, live albums etc) are added to her solo albums, the number is 23. It will be interesting to see just what this box will include - I would guess it's going to look something like this:

Studio albums:
1970: Diana Ross
1970: Everything Is Everything
1971: Surrender
1973: Touch Me in the Morning
1973: Diana & Marvin
1973: Last Time I Saw Him
1976: Diana Ross
1977: Baby It's Me
1978: Ross
1979: The Boss
1980: Diana
1989: Workin' Overtime
1991: The Force Behind the Power
1995: Take Me Higher
1999: Every Day Is a New Day
2006: Blue

Live:
1974: Live at Caesar's Palace
1977: An Evening with Diana Ross
1993: Stolen Moments: The Lady Sings...Jazz and Blues

Soundtracks:
1971: Diana! (TV)
1972: Lady Sings The Blues

Compilations with new material:
1981: To Love Again
1994: Diana Extended: The Remixes

Of course I have all of them - but you can bet I'm going to want to add this box to my collection, no matter what's included...




And finally: a rare (and stunning) live recording of one of my favorite Diana songs, along with a British TV documentary.

3 comments:

Jon said...

Faboo - and by now, you will have seen my own tributes to the great diva! Jx

ShineOnAndOn said...

wonderful tribute! Happy B Day Miss Ross! ♥

Barbarella's Galaxy said...

I just hope I will one day be able to see her in concert - her turning 70 really is a reminder of the ticking clock...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...