Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Get Over Yourself Already...



Lady GaGa has branded an interviewer's suggestion that her single "Born This Way" is similar Madonna's 1989 hit "Express Yourself" as "retarded".

In an interview with NME, she was asked about the simularities between the songs (which pretty much everyone seems to hear - except Gaga, apperantly. And then of course there is the "Vogue" rap as well...). She responded my having a melt down, breaking into tears and cursing like a crazy lady (which she does througout the whole interview).

A bit of it does sound quite a lot like ‘Express Yourself’, though, doesn’t it?
“I don’t think… I swear to you. I am not stupid enough to put out a record and be that moronic.”
The reference seemed so obvious that it had to be intentional because, as you say, you’re not stupid…
“No. Listen to me. Why the fuck…? I’m a songwriter. I’ve written loads of music. Why would I try to put out a song and think I’m getting one over on everybody? That’s retarded. What a completely ridiculous thing to even question me about. I will look you in your eyes and tell you that I am not dumb enough or moronic enough to think that you are dumb enough or moronic enough not to see that I would have stolen a melody. If you put the songs next to each other, side by side, the only similarities are the chord progression. It’s the same one that’s been in disco music for the last 50 years. Just because I’m the first fucking artist in 25 years to think of putting it on Top 40 radio, it doesn’t mean I’m a plagiarist, it means that I’m fucking smart. Sorry.”
The criticism did seem to take the wind out of the song’s sails.
“There’s a lot of people who want to see me fail. The minute they see something to shoot at, they shoot, and the bigger I become the bigger target I am. Nobody in this room at any point looked around and said ‘Oh my God, it’s ‘Express Yourself’. ‘ Not once. Listen. I swear to you. I can only be honest with you about it.”
The star went on to profess that "Born This Way" was divinely inspired, remarking: "I feel like, honestly, God sent me those lyrics and that melody... There's no way for something that pure to be wrong."

Well, if she wants to call Madonna "god", then who am I to disagree???

"I am the hugest fan (of Madonna) personally and professionally, and the good news is I got an email from her people and her sending me love and complete support," GaGa claimed right after the song was released. Madonna´s spokeperson said she was "unaware" that any e-mails from either Madonna or any of her staff been sent to Gaga at the time... I think girlfriend has comepletly gone off the deep end. Maybe less alchohol and drugs are in order? Seriously, she has become waaaaaay too full of herself! For the sake of her health, she needs to take some serious time off!

Here are the songs that - erm - sound absolutely nothing alike:



2 comments:

ShineOnAndOn said...

LOL! amused by the entire situation...me bad! She does need a rest, or at least a nap!

Jon said...

She should take some time off - permanently. Jx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...