Tuesday, January 22, 2013

SOTD...



The song of the day is one of the most perfect pop songs ever written, IMO. 

"You Came" by Kim Wilde was released in July 1988. It was the second single taken from the equally fabulous album Close (which became the biggest selling album of her career). The song became an instant favourite of mine back when it was released and it remains one of those songs that I can listen to again and again without ever getting tired of.

It became of one of Kim's biggest hits, reaching the Top 10 all over Europe and peaking at #3 in the UK. In 2006 a brand new version was released as a single to launch her album Never Say Never, which was a collection of new songs and reworked old hits. It became a hit again in Europe, but was sadly never released in the UK.

File:You Came 2006- Kim Wilde.jpg

Here are both versions. I love the 2006 version, but nothing compares to the original...



But what will Kim be up to in 2013?

After teasing her fans last year with the idea of writing and recording a new album in 2013, Kim Wilde talked about a possible Christmas album a few days ago on Twitter.

Ok twitter,any ideas for my Xmas album.I'm thinking intimate and romantic,how about you?

Kim has also confirmed that along with working on the christmas album, she will be spending the year writing and recording material for a brand new studio album, which will be released in 2014!

4 comments:

binkyzooma said...

I couldn't agree with you more...one of my all-time favorite songs...it just speaks volumes...thanx for the video

Jon said...

I do like the original, although in my opinion it's not her finest moment (that would have to be her debut "Kids in America"). I am destined never to hear the remake, it seems, as the video is "not available in my country". I never did get "Never Say Never", so maybe that is a hint :-) Jx

Thunderbitch said...

I love this song like you know but "Four Letter Word" has always been my favorite Kim Wilde songs :) this is her best album and Never Say Never was amazing :)

Barbarella's Galaxy said...

I adore "Four Letter Word" as well, I have always loved the Close album. And yes, Never Say Never was fantastic!

I also like the albums she has released since - her covers album Snapshots has some good (and some not as good) covers, but I really like it overall. Who would have thought Kimmy would cover The Cure and do a pretty good job? And her version of Mike Oldfield's "To France" by far surpasses the original - she manages to make it sound like it was written only for her.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...