Monday, January 28, 2013

SOTD...



It's Monday, and I am stuck with a school project I have to turn in this week. And since I am way past my patience on it, me thinks it is time for some very pretty music. Enter Roberta Flack.

"The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" was written in 1957 and recorded by various artists in the following years. It did not become a big hit though until Roberta recorded it. She included the song on her 1969 album First Take and the song was later used in the 1971 movie Play Misty For Me. Atlantic Records decided to release the song as a single after it was used in the movie and it became a huge hit, topping the US singles chart in early 1972. It won Record Of The Year at the Grammy Awards.

Since then, various artists have recorded the song: Diana Ross, George Michael, Richard Marx, Petula Clark, Shirley Bassey, Vanessa Williams, Celine Dion and many more. But here is a beautiful performance by Miss Flack from Top Of The Pops:

2 comments:

Jon said...

Love this song (even if it is a bit romantic for me) - and NOBODY does it like Roberta Flack... Jx

Barbarella's Galaxy said...

I agree - this is by far the best version I have heard of this song!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...