Wednesday, March 5, 2014

3 From 1...



The music business in the tiny corner of the world I live in is so boring it makes me thank the heavens above every day for the international music scene.

I would honestly say that in the last 10 years, there have been less then five local hits that I actually somewhat enjoyed. Instead I have to suffer through shit like Of Monsters And Men and this year's Eurovision song which is so truly terrible that I am convinced it was in fact written by a five year old (while "costumes" and "staging" were done by a younger sibling!). But, all is not lost - because we have our very own pop diva: the Icy Spicy Leoncie!



Yes my lovelies, Leoncie has been releasing music, shaking her stuff and creating controversy since the mid 80s. Born in 1947 in India, she released her first album in the early 80s but most of her musical output has been in the last decade.



Miss Leoncie has been a constant source of gossip for three decades - she used to be a stripper, she's very vocal on her often questionable views on things and no matter how wrong she might be, she is not afraid to stick to her guns. She has constantly complained that her, erm, art does not get radio or TV airplay - which, according to her, has much more to do with racism then the quality of her music. She has said many times that she would win Eurovision if only she would get the change, she has  picked public fights with almost everyone it seems (customs officers, real estate sellers, musicians - you name it) and if we are to believe her own press, she's an international superstar. Oh yes, her songs are played all over the world (except in Iceland, apparently), she does huge concerts and international reviews have supposedly compared her to the likes of Aretha Franklin (the voice, you see) and Madonna (the image and stunning music videos, obviously).



Sadly I could not find her 90s appearance on the brilliant Eurotrash, nor could I find her stunning X-factor audition from a few years back. But if I ever find the Eurotrash one, I will post it - her apperance in some pub in front of 10 people with a constantly skipping backing track CD had me falling over backwards with laughter (good natured one, of course).



Leoncie releases her music mostly on her own, and makes her visual masterpieces together with her husband Viktor.  Here is a look at her discography.







Say what you will about her - but in a country where the music business is so incredible boring, she is (for better or worse) a breath of fresh air. And to tell you the truth, I would actually rather vote for her in Eurovison then the complete shit we are sending this year!

Here is a threesome - excuse me, trio of songs from the Icy Spicy Indian Princess herself: Leoncie!



Do visit the official Leoncie YouTube channel - this video in particular is a must! You will also find a duet with the Icelandic King Of Pop, Paul Oscar - and videos to such songs as "Killer In The Park" and "Sex Crazy Cop". Good times!

6 comments:

Jon said...

Oh.

My.

Gawd.

And I thought Margarita Pracatan and Wing had the last word in cheap and tacky production values!

She's wonderful - Aretha and Madonna eat your heart out, indeed!

Jx

Barbarella's Galaxy said...

Well, I trust you stand corrected regarding the production values...

The diva was in the news (once again)today - she strolled down to police headquarters (with Viktor in tow), to demand her Indian visa - FROM 1984(!), which she had turned in when she moved over here. She was told in 1986 that it had gone missing - but the diva shows up in 2014, demanding that it will be returned to her. She is of course threatening legal action, as usual.

Ah, those colorful characters really brighten up ones live... Oh, and let's all sing along to "Gay World", shall we: "Hey boy, gay boy - safe sex, it goes deeper, deeper, deeper, deeper"...

Jon said...

I think that "Love in a Pub" is the real masterwork here. Jx

Barbarella's Galaxy said...

With such wonderful body of work, it's hard to choose though...

Thunderbitch said...

I love miss Leoncie and yes she is probably the best thing in the Icelandic music apart from Páll Óskar :)

I hate Of Monster And Men, wanna kill Ásgeir Trausti he makes me suicidal and the new eurovision song is shit like always, I didn't listen to any of the other songs but have heard the winning one on radio.

Barbarella's Galaxy said...

I didn't watch the Icelandic Eurovision (I never do), but I think I can safely say that this year's entry is our worst one yet - and that's saying a lot! I think I'm just going to dress up in my best Dynasty outfit and boogie to "Lífið Er Lag" by Módel, pretending that's our entry this year ;)

I don't even know who this Ásgeir is, but I'm sure he would make me suicidal too ;) But not our princess Leoncie - her hit song "Enginn Þríkantur Hér" (where she declares a war on a creepy sex doll, and makes her beloved Viktor crawl around on the floor in a terrible wig) is surely enough to perk everyone up!!! And "Gay World" is obviously my new anthem...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...