Thursday, March 28, 2013

SOTD...



Time now for a bit of 90s. Considering how much music I post from the 80s and the late 70s, it is no wonder that people often think I am a bit older then I actually am.

The fact is that I was becoming a teenager when the dance explosion hit. I remember hearing songs like "Pump Up The Jam" (Technotronic) and "Ride On Time" (Black Box), going absolutely crazy over them. And when I heard "Das Boot" (U96) and "Twilight Zone" (2 Unlimited) a couple of years later, I was completely sold on dance music!

I had always loved HNRG, so this was no surprise. But dance music was now harder (and quite frankly, more mindless). But I loved it. I would buy every dance compilation and album I could get my hands on, watching MTV 24/7 to keep up with what was happening and then bringing it all to the school disco, where I was a DJ.

Of course the trend of Eurodance didn't last that long - by 1995 the sound had become rather stale and music shifted into new direction once again. Time has not been kind to a lot of the acts, or their material, but there are still some whose songs still enjoy - if only for nostalgic reasons.



One of them are 2 Unlimited. Ray and Anita were the king and queen of Eurodance, not matter if people liked it or not. I liked it - a lot! They were of course considered cheesy (like most Eurodance acts) but I always felt that a lot of their music had a bit more substance then, say, Fun Factory, Masterboy or Scooter - and unlike most other dance acts, they pretty much always delivered live vocals wherever they were playing.



They are back together (although no longer a couple) and have been performing together at various gigs in Europe. Their first full length concert will be in Holland at the end of the month. They are also working on new material with one half of the original production team they worked with in the 90s.



The song I chose the Song Of The Day is probably my favorite 2 Unlimited song. "Tribal Dance" was released in 1993 as the follow up to the massive "No Limit". It became a big hit, charting inside the Top 5 everywhere in Europe, as well as in the UK. I just can't believe that next month it will be 20(!) years since I was going crazy over this song! Say THAT again?

4 comments:

Jon said...

I used to think that Ray was the sexiest thing in two legs. I probably still would...

But - them, together? Really?! That man is gayer than Kylie riding a pink unicorn through Disneyland at Christmas! Jx

Barbarella's Galaxy said...

Actually, he did date Dannii as well...

Jon said...

I would have thought it was every gay boy's dream to date a Minogue... Jx

Barbarella's Galaxy said...

Even if he had to "settle" for Dannii...

He was rather gorgeous, I must agree. And he still is kinda cute (sans the dreadful tattoos he sports now).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...